St John’s Church Orpington has a programme of regular Sunday services, for people of all ages. Our services are generally followed by tea and coffee, giving people a chance to get to know one another and make new friends. The Sermons are usually made available on this website within a few days of each service. Details of our upcoming services are here or on the Diary
COMING TO A SERVICE AT ST JOHN’S CHURCH
If you have not attended a service here before, then you may be wondering what happens and what you need to do.
- You will be welcomed as you enter the church and invited to sit wherever you choose. If you are on your own and would like someone to sit with you, then please ask the welcoming team and they will gladly arrange this.
- If you are here for a Baptism, then seats will be reserved for you all and the welcoming team will show you where to sit.
- If you have small children (under 3), there is a creche for them, available throughout the service. We also have some “family spaces” in the church, with toys and books set out and a little more space for small children to move around if they prefer to remain in church with you. Again, the welcoming team will show you where to go.
- At a point in the service there will be an invitation for children aged 3-7 to enjoy worship in the “Neons” group with activities tailored specifically for them. Just follow the other people out if this is what you would like to do.
- We no longer produce a paper Order of Service, but the Minister or Worship Leader will tell you what you need to do (ie sitting/standing/singing) and guide you through the service. The words of songs, Bible readings and any prayers in which you are invited to join, will be on the screens at the front of the church.
- We no longer take up an Offering of money during the service but there are boxes at the entrances to the church where any gifts you wish to give may be left. We also have the facilities to make a donation using a card. But this is purely voluntary.
- We generally celebrate Holy Communion (the sharing of bread and wine in memory of Jesus Christ) once a month. If you join us for this service then you are welcome to receive bread and wine if you wish. They are offered to the people where they are sitting, so you do not need to move. If you do not wish to receive the bread and wine then just indicate this to the server.
- Please note that video recording or photographing is not permitted during our church services, owing to safeguarding regulations.
- There is plenty of Parking Space in the roads around the church, as well as in our church Car Park. Just please be careful not to block our neighbours driveways!
- If there is anything further you need to know before attending a service here then please do contact us at email@example.com Or on 01689 822177. Or, if you attend a service and there is something you wish you had been told beforehand, we would be most grateful to hear it.